There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Monday, October 12, 2009

Kid stuff...Dear Gil.

There is a movie coming out this weekend. Where The Wild Things Are will be in theaters Friday. The book, by Maurice Sendak, was my youngest son's favorite read. I don't remember reading the book to Gil....I hope I did. Do you remember if I did, Gil? I do remember the story of Max...a boy who is unhappy with his mother; a boy who feels unloved; a boy that runs away. I wonder now how much Gil identified with Max. Can you tell me now, Gil?

I remember buying him the stuffed animals from the story. He kept them on his bed for a long time. But, I think I got them for him when he was a teenager.

I wish Gil was six again. I wish I was taking him to see this movie. I know he will see it. I hope it brings back good childhood memories for him; he has very few of those thanks to me. Maybe he will take Sachi and Spencer to see it. Maybe he will tell them how much he loved the book. Maybe he still has those stuffed animals somewhere and will show them to his children.

10 comments:

kenju said...

Rosemary, I bet he has better memories than you think. We all have parenting moments we aren't proud of, but our children are very forgiving.

Jennie said...

I want to see this too. I think I still have it memorized. My boys all liked it, in fact, Seth has a tee-shirt of Max that he wore on our first visit to the eye hospital and a lady in the elevator smiled at it and told me she'd liked his t-shirt. Nodding at his eye, I said something about wishing his making mischief ["of one kind and another"] was still as innocent.

jp said...

That was one of my favorite books too.

I've found in my adult years that I'm more angry about who I was as a kid then how my parents were.

sageweb said...

I wanna see the movie only because I have heard so mush about the book from friends with memories of it when they were younger..I still need to read the book.

jan said...

I love this book. I'm going to break my no movie theatre rule to see it.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

We're looking forward to the movie also. I don't think I've read the book myself...Hmmm.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

you'd be surprised how much they remember...my granddaughters each had a favorite book that i read to them..Nicole's was there's an awful lot of weirdo's in the neighborhood, jenny loved lafcadio the lion, jamie liked a giraffe and a half, and haley wanted me to read from the book i was reading..what ever it was..she wanted to read 'what your reading'..
David and Tom liked books on Indians and Mojo liked fairy tales. they all remember..

Mom said...

It is a great story - I hope the movie does it justice.
i suspect Gil remembers a mom who loved him and knew him well enough to buy all those stuffed animals he treasured.

Random Thinker said...

Kids remember the good things mostly I think. But even if they remember some of the tougher times I think they can empathize as adults living lives of their own that aren't always perfect. My kid's favorites were "Good Night Moon" and Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham".

Miss Healthypants said...

Would you believe I've never read this book? I'll have to check it out from the library--although I'll bet there's a waiting list for it right now. :)