There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Wednesday, December 02, 2009

The great pie fiasco and another gift.

While on our shopping adventure at WallieWonderWorld looking for Thanksgiving dinner yummies, Steve stumbled upon the pie filling section. "I'm gonna make a pie for our dessert!" said Steve. I thought....Dear Lord help us.

Rather than select a can of filling with explicit directions he picked peach filling with not one direction on the entire label. Two cans were put into the cart. He asked me if I knew how to make pie crust. I then asked him to recall the last pie I had made. He couldn't recall one single pie. That's because I have never made a pie. While he searched the shelves for pie crust fixings, I went to the cooler section and picked up two boxes of pre-made crust. He was OK with using those crusts although he did state making crust from scratch would be lots more fun. I reminded him we didn't have a rolling pin, flour etc.

Below is the step by step process of Steve's first adventure in pie making.

He started with the pre-made pie crust. He isn't the gentlest of men. He pushed the holes and slits carefully back together and put this crust on the bottom of the pie pan.

Next came the filling. One can barely covered the pie crust so.......
.......he added can two.


He did read the directions on the pie crust box and carefully put the top crust on and trimmed the edges.

Steve is not one to waste anything so he nibbled on a few pieces of left over crust and then proceeded to put the rest on the top of the pie. He said it was a lattice design. HUH?????

Finished masterpiece; rosemary asked if he was going to put foil on the edges so they didn't burn.....nope.....ready for the pre-heated oven.

Pie in the oven, timer set, pie removed, rosemary said The top doesn't look baked enough with all of the ummm lattice stuff on it! Steve said I didn't know anything about pie baking and it was fine. I have had one Barbie sized piece of undercooked bottom crust kinda bland peach filled with an undercooked top crust under the lattice stuff pie. Rather than admit the pie wasn't quite right (and I didn't say one more word about the pie, I swear), Steve has "eaten" the rest of the pie....he will take a bite or two from a slice, leave the rest on his plate and tell me he is too full from dinner to finish the rest. I just love this man to pieces....of raw pie.


A beautiful surprise arrived in the mail. My crafty daughter (crafty meaning she got around the rule of no store bought gifts, only photos are to be sent for birthdays, Christmas etc. ) had a crafty friend make this simply lovely necklace for my 65th birthday. I have tried and tried to get a photo without the flash messing it up. If I turn the flash off, it doesn't show up at all. So, here is the description: silver chain with charms of a heart, jewel and an I Love You circle. There is a larger square surrounded by clear stones with an R in the middle. On the back of the R is a photo of Steve and me! Kiss, kiss my sweet little girl. I love you.







16 comments:

jan said...

Steve's pie looks much better than any pie I have ever made. Good for Steve to be adventurous. Treasure him.

sageweb said...

I actually like the gooey undercooked pie dough...
what a great gift you got..how precious!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Love the necklace! Steve was very adventurous to do a pie, I'm proud of him. :-)

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

never look a gift pie in the ..er..crust..
tell him since i'm the queen of pie making to contact me next time and i'll give him directions..i even make my own crusts..
as we say in texas ...'bless his heart'...
the necklace is beautiful and she did great..

Barb said...

HA!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!
My oh my! Well at least Steve gave it a good try. Not many men would even think about making a pie. Love the lattice work! LOL!

Mom said...

I love a man who makes pie. I bet the next one will be better.
Pretty necklace.

madretz said...

that necklace is flippin' awesome! I love it! a prefect gift for you.

next time have him make a cherry pie...the crust will be better since he has the qualified experience. and make cinnamon sugar cookies out of the leftover dough instead of fancy lattice.

Miss Healthypants said...

What a lovely gift from your daughter!! :)

And that is hilarious about the pie. :) :)

Sling said...

Isn't peach pie with squishy crust really just peach cobbler?..Steve may feel free to use that in his defense. ;)
That's a lovely necklace Rosemary..A genuine keepsake.

jp said...

I will be needing your daughter to assist me with all of my future gift-giving needs.

I will not however, be needing any pie.

Cazzie!!! said...

I smiled the whole way through this post Rosemary. My husband is by far a more adventurous cook than I. So we are in reverse to the two of you :)
Your daughter has a heart of gold. I love it when gifts are tailor made :)
My birthday is next week, I can;t wait to see the home made gifts the kids make :)

powdergirl said...

My friend Suzy Homemacher (thats her real name!) makes a peach pie that would make your clothes fall off, I don't know how she does it! And when I've asked shes said its all about practice and experience, so just encourage him, maybe he'll be the next king of pies : D

Sweet necklace, really, its beautiful.

kenju said...

mr. kenju might want a pie, but he would never attempt to make one. You go, Steve!

Nice necklace, rosemary.

Random Thinker said...

Undercooked, free form lattice peach pie is my favorite.

gina said...

Well, the lack of a rolling pin would make it difficult, but homemade pie crust is pretty darned simple - and that's coming from me, the non-baker. I cook, but don't really bake, except for bread. Anyway, homemade pie crust is surprisingly simple and far superior in taste and texture to store bought stuff. That said, it seems like just a little more time in the oven would have solved the problem of the uncooked crust. But hey, it's WAY more than The Spouse would EVER do! Way to go, Steve! And the gift - perfect and terrific!! You have a wonderful daughter!!

gina said...

I think should buy Steve a rolling pin for Christmas! :-) BTW, peach pie is pretty much my favorite fruit pie, especially when fresh peaches are used. YUM!