There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Tuesday, December 08, 2009

How to strip in Vegas with no money...

Took everyone's advice and here is the boring update of the trip to Vegas:

Have done the people watcher thing on the strip. Lots of really old ladies (much older than me) in Vegas wearing way too much makeup and bling.

We have had three really interesting cab drivers. One young man was from Ethiopia. He is here on a scholarship at ULV but half of the money has dried up so he drives a cab to supplement his income. He will eventually have his degree in Finance. He spoke perfect, lyrical English.

Went to the convention with Steve every day..... but not today. Sorry, but pharmacists in a large group are b.o.r.i.n.g.....and they dress like dorks.....even the women......well, wait a minute...I did see someone in fishnets and boots.....the CEO/Pharmacist of a very well known Medical Center in LA.

At the opening session yesterday Dennis Quaid was the keynote speaker (I had a guest ticket). He talked about the mess with the heparin overdosing of his twins....all read from two teleprompters like the President uses...only much smaller. After that session, I sat and thumbed through several books for sale at the ASHP bookstore. I have really, really, really forgotten pretty much all I had learned in nursing school and as a bedside nurse for decades.

I lost all of our gambling budget (20 bucks) on one penny machine in about 2 minutes. Whoooyah!!

We have taken advantage of the lounge on our floor to eat (for free mind you) breakfast and dinner. Not the most exciting food in the world or in Vegas either, but it fills our tummies.

I bought an eye patch at Treasure Island for the lady that's watching our dogs. She has cataract surgery tomorrow.

It poured here last night...and I mean bucket dumps of rain.

Now for news from home: A girl I worked with at the Library is staying at our home so the cats are well taken care of. The temps have been brutal....minus digits...and horrible winds as well. Yesterday morning Delci called and said the upstairs pipes were frozen. I won't give you a detailed story here...but, I have to say Delci is without a doubt the best pipe unfreezer in all of Sandpoint and probably the whole state. Had she not been there....well, I hate to think of what we would have come home to.

So, on this last day in the City of Lost Money I will sit in the lobby of our off strip, non-gaming, high priced restaurant, cheap room rate, Steve gets points when he stays at this chain hotel and read another book on my Kindle. We fly out tomorrow morning, will drive from the airport to pick up the dogs and will sleep in our own bed tomorrow night with the doggies snoring softly next to us in their crates.

16 comments:

sageweb said...

Best part of going home is the pets all snuggled up with you.

Mom said...

Thank goodness for someone to watch over your frozen pipes and kitties too.
I've never been to Las Vegas. It has never been on my bucket list.

Random Thinker said...

I love Vegas. It's one of my touchstone places. I have special bling items worn only in that city. Too bad about the penny slots. Guess the payout has to be smaller to offset the small bets. If you have time tonight the best people watching is on the strip right across from 9aesars... wild bill's or something like that. They sell $1 margaritas. Oh my the shennanigans are priceless.

kenju said...

I'm so glad you have someone watching the house as well as the cats. She deserves a tip!
Have a safe trip home.

jp said...

I am LIVID that we will both be in Vegas and miss each other by 2 days. Fate is one cruel, twisted bitch.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

ahh, going home...wonerful ain't it?

I'm a people watcher and talker..I will end up talking with people and knowing their entire life before 15 minutes is up.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

At least it much be warmer in Vegas? But, I know you want to be home with your babies.

Jennie said...

I spent a dollar on the penny machine in Aruba in under one minute, I believe. Loads of fun. I was in a convention of dietitians once when I was in school studying to be a dietitian. Something inside of me decided rigt then and there that I couldn't be one of them. Don't know why. I think it had something to do with their suits.

madretz said...

Welcome home, I'm sure you had a wonderful night's sleep, snuggled with the fur family and not having to worry abt the frozen pipes (i hope).

Wanted to share this NYT article w/ you re: the nook:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/technology/personaltech/10pogue.html

You've been in my thoughts w/ this weather. It's been so cold here, but nothing close sub-zero! that's just brutal.

Miss Healthypants said...

It's always nice to get home, isn't it? :)

And the temp's are now brutal here--minus 20 degree wind chills and all. Fun!

Shammickite said...

I went to Vegas once, loved it, maybe I'll go again one day. When I'm really old, and I'll wear too much makeup and bling, sounds like fun.
Very cold and very windy here too. Hate it. Let's run away to somewhere warm and sunny.

cs said...

You and I do pretty much the exact same thing in Vegas---get bored as all get up and wish I were home. Never cared for the place. Glad you are back.

Middle Child said...

Happy to be back freezing no doubt??? I'll exchange you our humidity and heat for your frozen pipes...altho i would miss my Aussie Christmas of prawns, salads and wine

powdergirl said...

Hey, can I have an eye patch too? I'm feeling a bit piratish and think I could rock that look. Arrr matey.

Yeah, Lost Wages, what a town!

Jennie said...

Rosemary, please post snow pictures. It would help me to know that someone is gettin' some. Snow, I mean.

Violet said...

One time, I won about 80 bucks on the penny slots. It was hilarious, b/c it just kept ringing and ringing as the total went up, penny by penny....

And when I am much, much, much older, I def. plan to be an old lady with too much makeup and lots of bling. Why not?? :o)