There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Friday, December 18, 2009

To be thankful.....

Life in Rosemary's Attic has been in the basement of late. It's hard to be jolly and seasonally merry at times like this. I know, I know...my moods are usually un-merry anyway, but at Christmas time they are worse. We were hit with a huge blow in October and while I know this isn't the last time we will be smacked in the head, this one hurt...a lot. Steve and I have weathered many storms together. We blended our two families and tried our best to make it one, we owned and lost businesses, we sat in an empty nest, we lost parents, we made an enormous emotional and physical move to Idaho, we survived what was almost a fatal car crash and we stayed in love through it all.

While I was in Las Vegas I had a lot of time to think....Steve was at seminars all day long and I could have either holed up in a cold hotel room or sat at the conference center (which I did) and mulled over problems and worried....which I did. Neither one of us wanted to be in Vegas, neither one of us was in a good mood and we were vocal about the why of our moods and for probably the first time in our lives together we talked about feelings; we decided we needed to make attitude adjustments.

While in Vegas I realized I missed my house, my home, my safety net, my place of comfort, the place where I have pictures of my children and grandchildren, where my cats keep my feet warm, where the dogies make quiet smellies, where deer stamp their feet at me and snort, where a particular squirrel will take a peanut out of my hand, where another feral cat has been named Blossom, and where I can look at Steve and then tell him how much I love him.

I have had a good life for the most part. I have had a glorious life with Steve. Have I ever said what a wonderful man he is, how tolerant he is of me, how generous he is, how loving and tender? He is. Steve is my home, my safe place, my comfort and where I feel warm and loved.

I have three fantastic children, Art, Christine and Gil and a step daughter, Stephanie, that make my heart glow and feel fuzzy and soft. My grandchildren make those feelings even richer. I know I am loved and cherished by these children; I am loved and needed in a way that I finally acknowledge I deserve.

I have had some of the most delightful pets ever given to a human; my current cats and dogs and those before....Charlie, Goldberry, Cicero, Babie, Magic, Sophia, Drake and Penelope. Those parts of my heart where memories of children and holidays can sometimes make me cry are moved aside for a moment by Emma climbing onto my shoulder or a miaow from Fuzzy.

I have never had a lot of friends...mostly by choice. But here in this little hamlet I have found more than I ever imagined....Molly, Gina, Barb and Delci too....and then there are my blog friends. When I look at my blog roll and think of the people behind the blogs PLUS these four women, I realize just how blessed I am with friends.

So, at this time of year when the snow is deep and the air is cold, I am warm, toasty, and happy with my life...problems and all. We have stumbled in the past, we have fallen this time and are having a hard time standing upright....but we want to, we will, and we are blessed, yup we are.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

FROM.......just me,

20 comments:

Jennie said...

From my basement to yours ~ Happy Holidays back to you and Steve.
Have you heard? We're expecting a snowstorm! 6 - 12 inches

Miss Healthypants said...

Oh, Rosemary--we love you! I'm ever so glad that I found your blog, and I always enjoy reading your blog--even if you're bitching or feeling sad about something. Whom among us doesn't bitch or feel sad sometimes?--come on. :)

Happy Holidays to you, and may the new year bring you many more opportunities for happiness, than sadness.

kenju said...

Rosemary, this is the nicest post you've ever done. I am glad you realize what a good life you have had. Sometimes I need to be reminded of that as well, and you just did. Thanks.

CRAIG and DIANE said...

Happy Holidays to you and Steve. It is usually during our darkest hours that we find out how truly blessed we are.

Barb said...

Cherish the fact that you still have the love of your life. So many of us don't have that special significant other any more.

Merry Christmas to you both.

Delci said...

Your house really feels more like a home than any house I've been in. And this includes the one I grew up in. It really is a magical place filled with love (and books).

jan said...

Thanks for this post. Some inspiring words and I'm glad to have you as a blog friend.

Mom said...

It is such a nice feeling when we realize how many blessings we have. I know you and Steve will survive whatever the current crisis. I am so glad to count you as one of my friends.

Sling said...

Rosie,..May the Lord bless you,and keep you.
May he lift His countenance upon you,..and give you you peace.
Love you,
Sling

Jennie said...

Thanks for sending the snow - it's arrived! I enjoyed reading all the encouragement and love sent by your friends here. I agree, God will keep you through this.

Random Thinker said...

Merry Christmas to you Rosemary and your wonderful Steve and the rest of your big loving family. To all the critters too. It's been a blessing to read your blog.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

from my heart to your heart..Goddess bless you

gina said...

Way to make me cry. I love you Rosemary!!!!!!!!!

Joan said...

To borrow and paraphrase a quote from Clarence the angel in It's A Wonderful Life, "Remember Rosemary, No woman is a failure who has friends" And I will add "...the love of a good man and a beautiful family." Wishing you, Steve and your family a very Merry Christmas.

Cazzie!!! said...

Rosemary,. thank the blardy Gummy Mary you are all okay..hjave a wonderful Christmas and an ever safe New Year 2010 :)

powdergirl said...

Doesn't sound to me like your attitude neds any adjustments at all : )

You have many good friends m' dear, because you deserve many good friends. You're nice, interesting, and fun,

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and a healthy , happy and prosperous new year.
(I almost wrote "preposterous new year there, LMAO, that would have read a bit odd, yes? )

madretz said...

16 of your good friends before me have written sentiments about how much you've touched our hearts.
You're a dear Mz. Rosemary and we love you exactly the way you are.
And Steve, too! xoxo

sageweb said...

What a great lovely post...have a great holiday...stay warm!

Shammickite said...

Your post has made me ralise that even though I'm going through a rough patch right now, it doesn't even matter because I have lovely friends and a fabulous family and a home filled with love, and those are the things that matter the most. And I'm looking forward to spending a great Christmas season celebrating with them all.... Happy Christmas Rosemary! And to all you bloggers out there.... Happy Holidays!

more cowbell said...

Merry merriment to you, Rosemary. You know, I think there's something to be said for something this good coming out of Vegas. I'm clinking my glass of eggnog to you and Steve. Happy holidays and everything else...