There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Thursday, January 07, 2010

Facebook works.....

While fiddling around on Facebook and putting names into the search function....I found my cousin Sammy....Sam, now that he is all grown up......who lives in Virginia.

I think I have written about spending all of my summers in Portsmouth growing up.  We would pack up the 56 Chevy Nomad wagon and take all of the truck routes and drive across the country to see relatives.  Virginia and my mother's family was my favorite destination.

Sam's older sister Gerri was my idol and Sammy and I were close in age and I loved his prankster personality.  

I remember going to the drive in in Sam's old Rambler the last summer I visited and lying on blankets watching some horror flick.  Times shared with Sam and his family were some of the best during my teenage years.

After my mom passed away I sent all of the old photos of Sam, Gerri and their mom and dad to Gerri.  That leaves me with no photos of them.  What was I thinking?????

What I do have is a photo of my dad in Sam's back yard doing what he loved more than anything....going crabbing with Sam's dad, my Uncle Augie, steaming the crabs in a huge pot in the backyard and sharing the feast.  There's Augie on the left in the suit and hat; next to him is the "baby" my uncle Sugar (Joe) and then my Uncle Sonny the heart-breaker in the family.  I think the last photo is a picture of Augie but I can't be sure.  Sam, do you recognize your dad in that photo?  While I have a really hard time navigating Facebook and don't visit often, I have changed my mind about it being a one line bus stop.  I have double digit friends and now a cousin to "talk" to.  Thanks Facebook.  (PS....please, anyone, send me an email if this post is messed up like the last one and you can't leave comments.  I went into the settings function and changed something....not sure what....and the look of my post is totally different and there is no video upload button.  I also took down the counter-top post just in case it is the offender)










11 comments:

rosemary said...

Test comment....does it count if I comment on my own blog using my own computer?

Mom said...

I love hearing the old stories - and i love facebook. I have found all sorts of kith and kin.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

i am beginning to love facebook.I have over 800 'friends' and dont have a clue who most of them are.

kenju said...

I love your old photos!!

Judging by how often I am on FB, you have to know I love it. I am trying to be judicious about my friends on there and not just befriend anyone who asks....LOL I do know who most of mine are and I enjoy almost everything they post!

jan said...

I haven't gotten that excited about Facebook. I joined kicking and screaming, but haven't really given it a chance.

So Rosemary, how come we aren't FB friends?

sageweb said...

yay I can comment! Oh very cool about your FB find and the story is sweet. Also I cant remember what I was going to comment on the last post...

Random Thinker said...

So awesome you are able to connect with family. I like facebook because it keeps me in contact with friends. I also like getting my butt beat by people who cheat on FB scrabble.

powdergirl said...

Haha, no FB for me, I already spend too much time playing around in Blogtown.

Yeah, kid memories of family vacations, takes me back.

And I totally want to go to Virginia, I'd love to see those Blueridge Mountains.

Sling said...

I use Facebook like any parent..To keep constant track of my daughter.
No problems commenting this time.

Miss Healthypants said...

That's awesome!--and I love Facebook. It has really helped me reconnect with family members from near and far. :)

Middle Child said...

Those photos are classics of a time long gone - i love the old photos - they seem to show so much more than our thousands of digital pics...