There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Sunday, January 10, 2010

I want snow, I don't want snow, I want snow, I don't.....

It has been an interesting winter so far. Surprise!!!  We have maybe, if I exaggerate a bit, a foot of snow on the ground......actually, that would be a lie.....we have about 6 inches of snow.  We have gone from frigid temps in early December with frozen pipes to 32 degrees, rain, some sleet and a little snow here and there. Steve has had to plow twice and once it was just because he wanted to get on his tractor. 

So, what's the problem you might ask.  The snow pack is at about 65% right now and unless with get feet of snow over the next 2 months, we will have a water issue in spring and a potentially dangerous summer fire season.  This winter is reminiscent of the first winter we lived here full time.  I remember thinking What's the big deal with winter?  I can handle this!  Fooled me.  Over the last 12 years each winter has dropped more and more snow until 2007-2008.  That was marked as the 3rd worst winter in Idaho recorded history.  Well, winter isn't going anywhere.  I'm not going anywhere; so I will just have to deal with it.....whatever it is.  ~Sigh~

Since we have been doused with that pox, we have managed to get a few things done around the old place.  First was the counter-top project, then the water heater we had been babying had to be replaced.  Steve did that in just a few hours last Sunday (ca-ching to the tune of 400 smackeroos). Then we finally put the handles and pulls on the cabinets and drawers in the downstairs bathroom....that only took 10 years of planning AND did the same in the snorage room......2 year wait on that project.  Steve has promised he will finally get started  on the shelves I want for the kitchen and he may even make that quilt rack I have crabbed asked for over the last year. 

So, continuing with this most boring post, while I was doing my Sunday chores today I was doing my usual random thinking about heavy issues such as:

If I could live in another country I'd pick Italy...Sorrento to be exact.  I can picture myself sitting on the veranda of my home looking out at the Bay of Naples, sipping a Limoncello and having Steve rub my feet. 

I could live in an historical home in lets say Vermont or Maine.  It would have a big porch with a rocker and inside there would be lots of fireplaces.  In winter we could sit in front of the fire and read and snooze with the cats in their beds close by and the dogs softly snoring. 

I could live in a Craftsman type home in oh, maybe, San Marino or I know.....Palos Verde in California....but not on a cliff, but with the ocean close by.  It would have a porch too....wrap around.......and a covered deck in the back with a huge green lawn with trees all around the yard perimeter. 

I'd really like to learn how to knit or crochet.  I know that's not gonna happen because I have zero talent...big ZERO.  But, I think that would be relaxing. 

I should really learn to play that keyboard I wanted for Christmas 3 years ago and got.  I have two How To books and even a CD that came with the keyboard.  Not sure what the reluctance is there. 

I still wish I had a big dog.  We saw a chocolate lab puppy on TV yesterday that was at a Spokane shelter....he was adorable.  His name was Richard.  He had a sister but she was black.  We can't afford another dog right now, and it's not that I don't love Violet and Petey to pieces....I do and they kinda love me....but, they are Steve's dogs.  They sleep with him when he is on the couch and follow him around with that adoring look on their faces.  Not that another dog would automatically love me more than Steve.......but big dogs just feel different.  No dog can ever replace Charlie or Penelope but my heart just has a little empty spot where a big dog needs to be. 

So......there you have it.....my life in a Sunday post.  I know, I know....everyone wants to be rosemary.  Sorry, I'm taken.


Some days I wish I was Emma.









12 comments:

jan said...

Here's an idea, as clever and resourceful as Rosemary is, she should design and build a quilt rack and quit crabbing.

sageweb said...

I wish I was emma too.

kenju said...

I want to live in Sorrento. Could we be neighbors?

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I have to stay on the Evil Twin for months or years to get projects finished too. What is it with them? He usually hops right on it when I say, "Nevermind, I'll just do it myself." Try that one.

Random Thinker said...

Funny how you usually get hammered with snow and this year it's everyplace else.

Oh, and crocheting is easy peasy.

madretz said...

heehee! u are just so cute and funny, did u know that?

I love love love craftsman style homes!

Shammickite said...

as for your "heavy issues"....
Living in Italy... a diet of pizza and pasta are really hard on the hips and waistline.
Living in a historical home... well, I have one, and it takes lots of maintenance and lots of $$$$, are you sure you'd like it?
The house by the sea in California... well, that would be nice, but your spare room would be constantly full of wannabe relatives coming to stay.
Knitting and crocheting... boring after a while.
Playing the new keyboard... too much like hard work, might have to expend some effort.
Big dog... what you put in the front end eventually comes out the other end. Big!
May as well stay where you are and enjoy it!

Miss Healthypants said...

Aww, I hope you get another big dog someday--the bigger the dog, the bigger the baby! *smiles*

P.S. My Mom taught me how to crochet a bit when I was little--it's easier than you might think. :)

powdergirl said...

Your post title made me smile in empathy, and your last line struck me as so funny and cute, yeah, well taken or not, I still might want to be Rosemary : )

Middle Child said...

And if you wnated to live in a furnace in summer but have the best winters on the planet you would live next to me...

I have only seen snow once in my life aged about 10 - it was gone by mid morning and dad got us all up to see it about 5am...I went barefoot running up and down the yard to see how long i could do it before my feet went numb...dumb kid huh...

Cazzie!!! said...

Come here to the land down under..we have the heat turned on full!

Mom said...

something must be wrong with my hearing. I thought I just heard Rosemary say she wanted more snow.