There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Saturday, May 08, 2010

In honor of mothers and other mothers.....

Happy Mother's Day to all of my friends that qualify. Tomorrow will be a sniff and snork day because per the norm none of my children will be in Idaho and I won't be in California or New York. The kids will call, we will catch up on the news and weather and I will cry when we hang up. My step-daughter Stephanie will call as well....and I will cry again. She calls me her Other Mother.

So...on to other mothers. I had lunch with Kathy my former wonderful neighbor last Wednesday. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her....every time the Neighbors From Hell kids play outside, screaming at the top of their lungs I think of Kathy and her family and how peaceful things were back then. Every day when we walk the trails and pick up the trash that the NFH kids left behind I think of Kathy and her family. I miss them and the little path that we kept cleared so the kids could come over and visit. Seems the NFH kids have broken into the neighbor's house across the street, have been forever banned from riding the school bus and have managed to litter the forest in front of their drive. No reason to keep that path open now.

Kathy and I caught up on everything from local real estate to her kid's choices for college. Then we were talking about how we would spend Mother's Day. She told me this story: Her sister and brother-in-law divorced several years ago but everyone has stayed "family" and have good relationships. This couple had twin boys who are 9 now. The father remarried about a year ago and bought a house about a block from his twin boys and his former wife. The new wife recently had a baby girl and she is the joy of the family. The new wife loves the twin boys and they adore her; the ex-wife, Kathy's sister, loves her as well....and the feeling is mutual from the new wife. Everybody loves everybody. The twin boys call their step-mother Bonus Mom. When Kathy said those two words she teared up and so did I. What an honor for that new mother. How lucky is that family to have remained pretty much intact and caring. Sometimes I wish I could go back and have a few do-overs.....not move so far away, see my kids on a whim, watch my grandchildren grow right in front of my eyes....all of that AND have Idaho and my forest.  I can dream I guess.

So, once again to all of my mother friends and to those other mothers and bonus moms....have a wonderful day.

10 comments:

Random Thinker said...

Have a happy mother's day Rosemary.

Mom said...

Happy mother's day to one very good mother. You are blessing to so many people.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Happy Mother's Day to you as well.

Jan said...

Happy Mother's Day. One thing about the phone day is that you don't have to cook.

Barb said...

Happy Mother's Day Rosemary and your new baby!

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

happy mother's day to not only a wonderful mother ..but a wonderful friend..

kenju said...

Rosemary, I hope you will have a good Mother's Day, despite the fact that you won't be with your children. Remember the good times with them, and maybe you won't be sad. It's too bad your friend moved away, but what a nice story in her life.

Shammickite said...

happy Mother's Day Rosie.
I'm going to go to Swiss Chalet (fab chicken place, yummy) with the 2 sons, the 2 lovely DILs, the 2 gorgeous little grandsons and the other grandma tonight.... and I'm bringing flowers for all the ladies, OK, they are not MY mothers but they are the mothers of my grandsons and Grandma is the mother of my lovely DIL, and I will raise a glass to you out there in the wilds of Idaho, not sure what will be in the glass as I'll be driving, but here's to you (and all mums) on Mother's Day Rosie! Cheers!

madretz said...

I wish you the very best on a day that celebrates you and the beautiful mother and woman you truly are. Love you!

Middle Child said...

The family from hell...there were kids who lived near my mum once not too long before she died..and she befriended them thinking they were good kids...one day they lit a fire under her home...luckily they were spotted...she could have been burnt alive and I still today get chills about this - was this what they meant to do...little bastards...

keep that path full of thistles and bindi eyes okay...and like you i was childless on mum's day and had a few moments of feeling sorry for myself till i remembered an old lady in her 90's who had lost both her kids...