There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Monday, May 31, 2010

Remembering someone I never met.

Once upon a time there was a young man named Gilberto. He was the only son of Grandma Tommy and Grandpa Tony; they were my son's great-grandparents. I remember at a drunken celebration on Memorial Day decades ago Gilberto became the topic of conversation. His brother-in-law called Gilberto a sissy that wet his bed as a kid. Tommy and Tony were beyond hurt and angry. A fist fight ensued and the celebration broke up with everyone angry. Several family members didn't speak after that for years.

This celebration/gathering is only time I ever remember my son's father standing up for someone...anyone...anything. He made this statement: Gilbert may have been a bed-wetter, but he went to war and died for YOU.

So, today I honor and remember Gilberto Aguilar who was killed in action on October 5, 1951 during the Korean War. My son is named for him.....Gilbert...Gil, Bert, my boy. I hope Gil...Bert....will read this and ask his dad about this family hero.

Gilberto is listed on the US government site for Korean War causalities. Did you know that we lost 53,686 military, 92,134 were wounded and 4,759 are MIA because of the Korean War?

Let me add a PS.....for a grandfather named Albert C. Padilla.  My oldest son's middle name is Albert.  This WWII hero, who died Christmas Day 1944, is buried at the Luxembourg American Cemetery, Luxembourg. 


11 comments:

Jan said...

Good post. The Korean War seems to be the forgotten war, but so many died.

Sling said...

Jan is right,Korea is the forgotten war.
My uncle served in the Air Force there,and managed to come back safely.
Thank you Gilbert,for your full measure of devotion.

Jennie said...

Thank you for that post and for sharing your family's story.
I'm glad your son's father took that stand.

Shammickite said...

Canadians served and died and came back wounded from the Korean War too, there's a memorial to them not far from where I live.

Random Thinker said...

Lovely tribute. Sacrifices were made by the families of those who died that can never be repaid.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

my daddy was in korea too..but after the war..but he said you couldn't tell..it was beautiful from the air but on the ground you coudl see the hungry kids, and poor living quarters..sad..
Goddess bless our soldiers.

Mom said...

I love family stories about almost forgotten heroes. I am thankful for all those whose names are unknown but who served their country so honorably. thanks for your family story.

Middle Child said...

Thank you for sharing this story - it is a bitter sweet one...the like of one that too many families have

Miss Healthypants said...

We saw veterans of the Korean war in Chicago's Memorial Day parade...we owe all of them our gratitude, that's for sure.

more cowbell said...

Like.

Cucamonga Cris said...

Tio Gilberto was the uncle I never met.He passed a couple of years before I was born. I took my mom ,Rose, to he site today for a Christmas clear up and flowers, and it needed it. Thanks Rosemary for your heartfelt comments.
I'm Cris Anthony (Middle named after Tony[my Grandfather and Gilberto's dad) AKA Guy