There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Sunday, July 25, 2010

....later than before

Still above ground...just a bit slower and my weirdness has increased according to my daughter.  Chris was here for a visit and to babysit me for Steve while he was on a 3 day trip.  We were coming home from dinner the day after Steve got back and there was a lot of fog on the way home. I asked this question:   Do you think driving cars through fog disrupts the balance of the earth?  Both Steve and my daughter were ready to commit me after I asked that.  Now think about it....fog was here first, not humans, and the earth was balanced with fog being where it should be, doing what fog does....wouldn't you think driving a car through fog would screw with the earth's balance in some way?  I do.

I forgot to mention that the barn swallows arrived on March 24th to check out the lodging, laid their eggs in the box under the balcony, decreased the mosquito population by zillions, ran the usual drive through diner for the babies, coaxed the babies out of the box, did a few days of GPS mapping and left Thursday.

There is a nuclear scan in my future...this week....Thursday....because I continue to have those pesky chest pains that signaled the "event" as we are now calling it.  The doctor used the words kink and tweak when I saw him. He was explaining about how he had a difficult time with my stents because the blockage was at a place where the artery made a turn.   Stents being stainless steel don't bend apparently.

I have started rehab and am doing well I think.  I have gone from 7 minutes on the treadmill (the most boring exercise machine ever) and elliptical to 20 and 15 minutes.   I am using sissy 1# weights, but that's 1# in each hand more than I was using before.  I go 3x/week and have a class on Wednesday. I am supposed to read The Power of Now  but Amazon is out of that particular book so it is back ordered.

Going along with the Now theme rather than the let's worry about all of the mistakes I have made in the past and worry more about tomorrow theme, my daughter Stephanie (her mother can sue me for calling her my daughter) called yesterday to check on us.  Steph has lots of years clean and works her program and lives her life like someone blessed and happy for every Now moment she has. She shared that she had been crabby and just kind of in a nasty mood so she called her sponsor.  Her sponsor gave her this assignment: Every day for a month she has to write 10 things she is grateful for.  For the first week she has to call her sponsor and tell her those 10 things then she can email them.   Steph knows me well; she suggested I try it.  Might just make my days a little more lemonady rather than bitter lemons.  So today I called Steph with my 10 things. Maybe sharing them with the world (regardless of how small my blog world is) will help me be a happier person......because I do realize that I am an old soul who doesn't know how to relax, enjoy the moment, let go of my routines and just be.

In no particular order on Sunday, July 25th I am grateful for:

1. My heart getting a second chance
2. Phone calls from our kids
3. Emma being Emma
4. Barn swallows that have been coming back for 10 years
5. My morning hug from Steve
6. The inventor of soy sausages
7. The HGTV channel
8. Clumping cat litter
9. Every day the power stays on
10.Finding Wesley
11.All of the really special bloggers that emailed get well wishes to me

I know...11

14 comments:

Name: female, not even with a capital F. I shit you not! said...

You just keep on getting stronger & better.
(((hugs)))

Name: female, not even with a capital F. I shit you not! said...

You just keep on getting stronger & better.
(((hugs)))

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

I think that is a great idea. 10 things to be grateful for..on my list of 10, you are right up there close to the top...what about meditating? would that help? I tried it and it didn't work..I can't keep my mind still for 10 seconds more less 10 minutes..rest, enjoy and laugh...rent funny movies..read funny books..i'm telling you..laughter is the best medicine.

FoxyMoron said...

A gratitude list is a great idea. I've been thinking of doing it again as I go through yet another tough time. Hope you don't mind if I pinch the idea!
I'm with you on the fog, I so get that way of thinking.

kenju said...

I love the gratitude list. Today while I was floating in the warm pool (while the air temp was 99* and the heat index 111*) I told God what I was most grateful for. I think it really helps to voice/write it. Hope they find out what is causing your pain.

Random Thinker said...

Does soy sausage taste good? I'll have to give it a try. You have really got me starting to think about the consequences of my bad habits and how my weight is only the tip of the iceberg.

Weird is good.... and thinking about fog is a sign of a person able to contemplate things outside of the mundane daily stuff we are normally consumed by.

Mom said...

I'm grateful today to know that my friend Rosemary is doing OK and has a list of things for which she is grateful. Prayers continue to be sent your way.

Jennie said...

I'm with Mom, I'm grateful that you're okay. Get well-er! The fog thing? I think you're imagining the earth like a body and the car like the unnatural things we do to it. It makes sense.

Shammickite said...

I think driving through fog just squishes the fog a bit and then when the car has gone it just un-squishes and fills up the space where the car used to be.
But I worry more about those moon rocks. They took moon rocks from the moon and brought them to the earth. That makes the moon lighter and the earth heavier. A disaster in the making?
OK, so I'm just as weird as you.
Nice to read your gratitude list, I think I should try that too.

Cazzie!!! said...

OMG.. The Power of Now saved my life! And it is my bible... please make sure you read it. You know, you do not have to read it from front to back. On any given day just pick it up, open a chapter and it will be the right one for you at the time :)
I am so pleased with your rehab...way to go you!
Oh, and I got my blood results back the very day after I read your post I fasted and went on and got lots of tests done. MY cholesterol, Blood glucose, full blood count and Urea and Electrolytes are all super... and I shall do it once a year.
Oh, another book to read which is so apt for you right now is "An arrow through the heart" by Deborah Daw Heffernan. I have it and I have re read it many times... an amazing journey..

http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Through-Heart-Surviving-Near-Fatal/dp/0743237692

Take care :)

madretz said...

I do the list thing whenever i'm down, it helps even if i write something as mundane as "the color of the pen I'm writing with." yep, that was on one of my lists.

Jimmy loves those soy sausages. me not so much but they smell great.

Miss Healthypants said...

I think the "grateful list" is a wonderful idea.

I also think that the book "The Power of Now" is a bit overrated. I can recommend the following book as a better teacher of being in "the now":

Stumbling Toward Enlightenment by Geri Larkin

I've also found many readings on Zen Buddhism helpful, and of course, my favorite inspirational readings are by Dr. Wayne Dyer (check out "The Power of Intention"). My favorite newest book is "The Happiness Project." :)

Lastly, I want to recommend Hayhouse.com to you. There are many excellent authors that can help you stay in the moment.

I feel for you, Rosemary--I know this has been a challenging time for you. But I am sure that you will come out of this experience a stronger, healthier, more positive person. :) Just continue to ask the Universe/God to help you on this journey.

Praying for you! :)

Middle Child said...

Its hard to be a Polyanna all the time - but good to remember the good things in life - and the good things far outnumber the bad things as a rule - not always - some times are just too hard for a human to bear and we have to recognise these times and I ask for help then - but as a rule there is so much good about, so much to be grateful for - I am grateful for you guys out there - take care okay and no more scaring us okay...

more cowbell said...

just want to say I think the fog question is totally valid. Especially if you've ever driven through the fog in Hungary on the way to Budapest from Kaposvár, before you hit the "highway". Seriously. totally valid.