There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Monday, October 18, 2010

Wailea in the morning

The Bacchanal that has been our 25th wedding anniversary celebration has come to an end. We made the most of the date....dinner at Oishi, dinner out the weekend after the actual anniversary, and the frosting on the low fat cake was a mini trip to Maui using points and miles!

We had a glorious time in Maui. It is an absolutely beautiful island, the locals are beyond friendly and then there is Hana. We drove the neighborhoods around the resort, drove to the rain forest, and did the traditional luau feast. We spent one entire day just lounging on the beach.

Something occurred to me a few days before we left while I was going through my frantic antics of packing and getting a 6 page list of instructions together for Delci (who has stayed here before and watched the babies).


We had a friend, John, who has been gone for years.  John never saw a need to go anywhere other than town; not to Coeur d Alene, certainly not to Spokane and not on vacations. Whenever we go away for even a few days I fret about the babies, worry about the house, just worry for days before we leave. Once I am gone I am fine and almost hate to come back home......emphasis on almost.  We had a trip planned....to Costco 50 miles away.  I talked Steve out of going....we can find everything we need right here, spend the same amount of money and save the gas.   At that moment I realized I had become a 12 mile radius old woman.  I don't want or need to go to Coeur d Alene, Spokane or anyplace else really.   Everything I need is here.....12 miles into town and 12 miles back. There is one exception.....I need to go to my children and always will no matter where they are.  So, on that weird note, I give you Maui.















13 comments:

female, I shit you not! said...

A belated Happy Anniversary to you and yours.
Wonderful pictures.
Lovely memories.
I saw myself in your post.
A 12 mile radius old woman. sigh!

kenju said...

Belated Happy Anniversary and thanks for reviving my memories of the beautiful island of Maui. I didn't make ti to Hana, but the rest of it was gorgeous. We stayed in Kaanapali.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

you 2 rock..I'm so happy to know you both...hell at least you go 12 miles..I'm within the distance of West..2 miles from end to end..
Maui .....wowie..

Jennie said...

Wow, beautiful pictures! Glad you had a great time.

Mom said...

Maui looks beautiful. So glad you had a good time.
I am looking forward to being able to travel beyond my 12 mile radius.
I may be an old woman, but I sure do love to travel.

Mairi said...

Know what you mean about going away. I am much the same. Mairi

Random Thinker said...

What great pics. Now you have great memories to keep you warm during the long cold winter that's around the corner.

Miss Healthypants said...

What a beautiful place!--so glad you both got the chance to celebrate your love there!! :)

Cazzie!!! said...

How splendid, and gorgeous! So glad you had a wonderful time :)

madretz said...

Looks like you had a beautiful time in Maui and I'm sure you don't regret getting out of your 12 mile radius! It's kinda funny and it's too soon to be sure how it will be in the long run, but when we're in the city, our radius has become 2 miles. If we can't walk to it, we don't go to it. it's harder to get in the car and try to find parking than it is to walk.

Shammickite said...

Oh I am so envious that you went to Maui! It looks marvellous. Lucky you and Steve.
I'm busy packing up the house, I move in the middle of November. AARRGGHH!! I'm so stressed out! I need a trip to Maui!

FoxyMoron said...

How beautiful!

I don't care much for going away these days, everything I want is here and it's so much more comfortable. I'm 51 now you know. ;)

bigbikerbob said...

Hi, I have not been visiting much lately, but these photo's are really stunning, a belated Anniversary too.