There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Going downstairs



I remember a time when I had to post a blog every day. I took on blogging like I do everything else.....obsessively and compulsively. Guess I had a lot to say then; lots of words needed to be written. Not so much now; maybe I have said all I need to say.

My life has changed. Having a heart attack has defined my every day. While I won't say it was a blessing to have gone through all that I did seven months ago, it brought front and center what is important in my life and that is my family, my amazing, wonderful husband and waking up every morning and having another chance to enjoy life.

I have said this too many times but I started blogging so my children would know me better, know about my childhood and life before there were kids. But I would much rather talk to them than write to them. I looked back through some of my old posts and they were empty; just mental meanderings of day to day stuff that said nothing about me at all other than I hated winter when Steve was gone, spent too much time talking to cats, dogs, squirrels and bambis and my forest was stunning in photos. So, Rosemary's Attic sort of needs to be swept, some things put in boxes and stored and maybe left alone to gather a little of life's dust for a while. I won't abandon it but I will step back and take a harder look at what I have written and think more before I write in the future.

So, here is my definition now: I exercise every day for at least 40 minutes. I eat bananas, apples, raisins, wheat and grains (even sticky oatmeal!) and fish. My back rarely hurts anymore, I listen to my heart beating every night before I fall asleep. I tell Steve I love him every time I look at him, I still clean like a weirdo but I take my time and enjoy moving the vacuum around and think about how it has helped me stay strong, I read my power thought cards and spend at least 10 minutes alone every day and just try to quiet my mind. I have lost 22 pounds, gone through two drug reaction episodes and come out OK, passed my nuclear scan, kept my lab results in great shape and together Steve and I have weathered a job loss, near financial ruin, a Medicare doughnut hole with my medications, the loss of my beloved cat Fuzz, rescued yet another feral cat that is currently living in the pole building, we are surviving another record making snowy winter AND I'M ALIVE!!!

I will continue to roam through Facebook although I really don't "get" that site, and I still read my blogger friends posts, I just don't comment. And best of all....I am going to be a great-grandmother twice this year. Christopher and Penelope are having a baby girl Adele and John and Laura are having James.

I am happy, blessed and loved.




14 comments:

Mom said...

Nice to have you pop in and say hello. I have missed you. Sounds like you are spending your days counting your blessings.
Glad to know you are doing ok.
Daily blogging does get to be hard, but I love knowing how life is going in your world.
Stay well my friend.

powdergirl said...

: D. You look fantastic!

Barb said...

Glad you are a happy person these days. Strange how devastating health issues makes you a different person in the way you look at life. Good luck and you look great!

Jan said...

You look great...fantastic biceps and abs. 40 minutes?

Middle Child said...

My goodness you have lost weight. I am working on it - after Don died I began to have Blood Pressure problems - as my mum and eldest sister developed at the same age - so have embarked not on a diet but paying attention to what i eat and seldom eating in between meals - making my Tea (dinner) a light meal - Pilates and lots of fish oil - hence no back pain anymore - its an anti inflammatory if taken at a high enough dose and it thins the blood a little...
I am with you Rosemary - being on the right side of the grass is good and as much as I love and miss my Don - I still want to be here - I haven't seen my girls have their babies yet and that I have to do - because I believe once they do they will be alright - I live in a beautiful place and there are things I have to do yet - but if I drop off the planet tomorrow the world won't stop turning - being alive has a lot going for it and a death scare such as you had sure changes things

gina said...

Wow! You look AMAZING!! I need to teach you how to flex your biceps, though. LOL. You have MUSCLES!! That is SO cool! I am dying to see you in person, so come see me! Love you, Rosemary! xoxoxo As for Facebook, I don't know what you don't "get", but I am willing to help you understand it. It's where all the cool kids hang out. LOL

Name:was Female, I shit you not! said...

You have it all together !!!
W2G my friend. :0)

Evil Twin's Wife said...

You look amazing! Keep up the great work. :-)

madretz said...

So great to see you pop in here now and then. You look great and happy and fit! You're still always in my thoughts. Great big hugs!

Shammickite said...

You are doing so well.... great stuff Rosemary, keep doing what you are doing. But I admit, I do miss your comments on my blog, and I have always enjoyed reading your musings and family stories and stories abbout the forest and the neighbours and the cats and dogs and bambis. And you look great!

Cazzie!!! said...

You look brilliant.. and radiant, and I am so pleased for you.. go you!!
I, too, have not been on blogger all that much. I have just been too busy to stand still of late. You give me energy looking at your image there.. and I need it to get fit too :)

Jennie said...

Wow, I'd say that's a great change. I sure would've never thought you had 22 lbs to lose but you look so strong and happy. You're an inspiration. I've been thinking about making it back to my blog again. It seems like forever. I knew the sweetest lady named Adele. Sweet name too!

Miss Healthypants said...

Once again, I just have to say that you look GREAT!! :)

Congratulations on what has turned out to be your new lease on life!! :) I'm feeling optimistic lately, too...thank you for all your advice! :)

more cowbell said...

You look fabulous.

I hear you about the priorities and the mental shift.