There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Tuesday, September 22, 2015

I have to do what?

I recently got some good advice.  Angela (aka Hat) told me to Watch out for potholes.  jp (aka jp)essentially said If Louie doesn't pay rent he needs to be evicted.

I saw Dr. Kanning yesterday.  He was surprised, as was his nurse, that I was able to receive my biopsy results last Friday (someone needs to do a little office investigating).  We did a high five over the results and then it was all seriousness again.  While this is good news, it isn't all of the news.  I still have to have an excisional biopsy/lumpectomy in case fat ass Louie isn't just a fat, lazy necrotic lump.  That will happen this Friday.

OK, here is the deal.  We have to arrange with the hospital for you to go to radiology and have a wire placed.  They will secure it really well and then you have to have Steve drive you to the surgery center for the procedure.  Here is the consent and it covers anything extra I might have to do like take sentinel nodes.


Wait a minute; back up.  Steve has to drive me to the surgery center?  Just where is it?  I thought it was in the hospital.  What am I supposed to wear to this dance? 

Oh, it's just up 200.  You know where Paul Bunyan the burger place is?  It's right thereJust wear something that opens in the front.  I estimate it is a good 8-9 miles away.  I'm going to have to go shopping for proper attire because of course, I won't be wearing a bra.

After that it was a full explanation of how the wire will be placed.  The wire is actually flexible; it's the insertion sheath that is as big as a roofing nail.  The wire will be placed right where Louie is living and then other implements of torture will be used to "open you up" and take the lump and surrounding tissue.  I'm still not sure what the wire is for....maybe to be sure the doc slices and dices me in the exact spot. 

The nurse gave me a bottle of special shower stuff to use the night before and morning of.  Nothing to eat or drink after midnight the day of and then there is the whole Plavix bullshit. Dr. Kanning gave one set of instructions, Dr. Jenkins, my cardiologist, gave another.  I'm going with Dr. J.

So, off we will go at 9am on Friday to check in at the hospital.  The wire placement is supposed to be over by 11 and then, watching for potholes, it is off to the surgery center for the eviction notice to be carried out.  After that it waiting for yet another set of biopsy results and hopefully the end of this little breast drama. 

14 comments:

kenju said...

My prayers are with you!! Good luck with ll of it and especially the outcome.

more cowbell said...

If there were ever a more perfect time to wear a muumuu, I think I missed it.

rosemary said...

Thank you Judy. As for muumuu's.......ummm, no. I'll either wear one of Steve's shirts or I have a soft sweater that buttons. I just have to be sure I don't wear something that will catch on the wire. I got the call from the surgery center and the nurse said the wire will be secured but the end just covered with a 4x4.

Auld Hat said...

does it get WiFi? did Louie order cable? in 5 years everyone will have personal boob antennas and you'll get to say you started the trend. so ahead of your time, girl.

booda baby said...

Jeeeeeezus. There is NOTHING not one thing not even a little thing to write after Angela swooped in with her magic writing wand. Okay. There IS all that - what i just wrote - to write, but otherwise. (PS. It's pretty fun, though, to know we've moved on to the let's handle this shit stage. That's a good stage to be in.)

rosemary said...

Angela is a genius.....as are all of my blog buddies actually. I swear, if Louie ordered cable I am gonna do....well, I'm not sure what exactly other than to disconnect it....fat ass Louie.

Bad Alice said...

Weird that they can't place the wire in the hospital. Or rather, inconvenient as all get out. Mine was placed and then poof, right into surgery. I hate the prohibition on water. Hate it. I'm fine with no food, but I have a real phobia about being thirsty and not able to drink. It's ridiculous because when you get there they hook you up with fluids. BTW, once they have the IV in, tell them you're anxious and they should give you something lovely, like ativan.

Angela wins everything because she's a clever clocks.

rosemary said...

Alice.....guess who owns the surgery center 9 miles away......my surgeon. Otherwise I'd just be buzzed right down/over to outpatient surgery. I am starving, thirsty, anxious and hoping I can get blogger and Facebook with my wire.

rosemary said...

Forgot....they use conscious sedation and the last time that was used when I had my 3rd stent placed apparently my mouth ran a bit, so, worried about that.

more cowbell said...

And what, pray tell, is conscious sedation?

rosemary said...

Well, miz bell, conscious sedation is a drug called versed, but then there are others used too.....one minute you are awake, the next you are not, then you are awake, but you were never out like general anesthesia. You talk, sometimes move and the docs can ask you questions. Yesterday I thought that was what I was getting, but they decided to put me out. I felt like shit all afternoon...and have a bitch of a headache today. I wore a pj top that buttoned down the front rather than a muumuu or a tent shirt of Steve's....all I needed was my slippers. The surgery was a breeze, the wire insertion was horrible.....just fucking horrible.....they threaded a needle with a wire that had a hook on the end across and into my boob. End of details.

booda baby said...

Tell me, please, that you were out for the wire threading. And then, right there, would be a good place to end the details. ow. ow. I hope you're in a state of super relaxation today. Wait. Forget telling anything at all about the wire threading. That'd just mess up the super state of super zen I'm hoping you're floating in. (Even through a headache.)

rosemary said...

booda......not out for the threading. Wide Awake! Maybe 1/3 of the insertion was numb....the rest au natural. It was basically...to me anyway...a bedside mini surgery. Never again do that and then drive 9.3 miles (yup, we watched the odometer) to a surgery center so the doc can capture all of the revenue. He is a good doc, just maybe a little too hungry at the moment. I am looking for Zen.....he's here somewhere.

Bad Alice said...

Aw man, I'm sorry the wire thing was awful. I've had it twice and both times it was easy peasy and how it managed to be painless I don't know. I had some expert in whizbangery. Too bad about the sedation, but I don't think it lasts long enough for excisions. That versed, though. I've never had conscious sedation, but I've had the quick acting versed propofal stuff for minor procedures. Glad it's over!