There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Ok. Wait.

Every new lump is breast cancer until I can prove otherwise.

I've had three superficial breast cancer patients this year that did not have their masses show up on mammography, so consider finding it on ultrasound a positive.

I don't do the biopsy and removal at the same time.  If the biopsy comes back positive then I would just have to go back in and take lymph nodes and possibly more tissue.

I talked to Dr. Jenkins and here is the plan for your Plavix.....take it through the 9th, stop, biopsy on the 15th and back on it the 17th.

Cancer cells double in 150 days.  So, even having the biopsy done on the 15th gives us lots of time.........Well, what if the lump has been there longer than my finding it;  then what?  It makes it easier to find. 

That's it for now.  I'll see you on the 15th.  Don't let this get you down. You two seem like really cool people.  We'll take care of this.  Breast cancer is curable.

I made him laugh when he was examining me.....I told him I was the vision of a Phyllis Diller comment she made about her aging breasts.....they were 36 longs. 

I fell apart in the elevator.  Steve isn't talking much.

7 comments:

Auld Hat said...

words, blah blah. Blah words, more words. Blah blah.
Nothing I write is going to make you feel less frightened of mystery lumps. But I hope you keep in mind that there is a lot going on in there; ducts and glands and fatty pockets yackety blah blah meatsack. Terrible that your doctor said 'cancer' so matter-of-factly that way before even getting the biopsy. How are people meant to ever sleep again? I love you.

jp said...

I'm sending you a box of hugs. Take the first one right away, and then just go through the rest as you need to. If you run out let me know, I can get them pretty cheap 'round these parts.

Bad Alice said...

Ugh. I've been through the breast cancer thing, as well as through a biopsy that turned out to be nothing, but I don't have any words of wisdom. Somehow you get from point A to point B with the help of friends and family. Your doctor is optimistic, and that's a good thing.

booda baby said...

Jeeezus. And this is why they started having to train doctors in empathy. (Maybe they suspended that program.) What can we do to help keep your head ... well, I don't know. Not away from this, but ... soothed?

rosemary said...

Umm, my tone yesterday was a bit.....unfeeling and matter of fact. Dr. Nathan Kanning was actually really nice and while he didn't say what I wanted to hear, he said what I needed to hear. He repeated what the radiologist said about it not looking like a typical cystic breast mass. When he told me it had to be looked at as a breast cancer until proven otherwise I realize today that he meant that he will be aggressive in finding out what it is. All in all I feel pretty OK with what is going on. I have a mass, we are going to find out what it is and then we'll take it from there. I told my daughter, but not my sons. That will come later if I even have to tell them at all. Thank you all for reading this and being so supportive. Words like meatsack, box of hugs, get from point a to point b and soothed are perfect.

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Prayers and (((hugs)))

more cowbell said...

Oh, the not knowing is awful. I had to wait three times, not knowing. Once for an abnormal pap after the doctor matter-of-factly stated that my ex's dalliances put me at a 12x greater risk of cervical cancer than the general population. Turned out to be nothing. The other two times were breast/underarm weirdnesses -- also nothing. So here's to hoping for a big fat "nothing" for you. I'm glad the doc is being aggressive and fast ... that's way better than saying, Oh, probably nothing to worry about, no rush here. Um, no. Rush, Doc. Rush that shit. So, glad they are rushing it. Hugs. (I finally conquered Blogger and can comment.)