There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Thursday, May 12, 2016

I'm all aglow and Steve is freaked

Had a nuclear scan and echo done yesterday.  One step closer to finding out if surgery is in my future. Both of the tests were painless.  The echo just left me with about 4 pounds of gel on my chest and boobs....gel that smears when trying to wipe it off with a "towel" made of plastic coated paper and the size of a sheet of toilet paper.  


The isotope used for the stress test....cardiolyte....will stay with me for about 10 days and set off the scanners at an airport, so I have a card to use should I have a problem......no travel in my future.  

Steve stayed in the waiting room for the 3 hours it took for the tests to finish.  When I came out at the end he was the only person there and I could tell he had been crying.  He couldn't talk when I asked him what was wrong.  With his eyes he directed me to a man and a nurse getting off the elevator.  The nurse was holding on to the man's left arm and talking to him.  He had his right hand on his forehead and looked really upset.  We got up to leave when the receptionist said that my husband had a whale of a tale to tell me and she laughed.  I asked if he had done CPR on someone and she said no, but he might have needed that himself.  What ever the story was she thought it was hysterical.  So......about 10 minutes before I came out, the same nurse came up to Steve and asked if he was Steve.....that's what he heard.  He said yes.  She then told him that his wife had experienced a serious arrhythmia during the stress test and would need to be admitted right away to the hospital......she told him all of this while walking him to the back where I was.  Obviously he was really, really upset.  He said he asked her if I was alright and she said this was very serious.  When they got to this particular stress test room a woman on the table screamed "That ain't my husband you idiots!" Nope, he wasn't.  Turns out what the nurse had asked Steve was.......Are you Keith? Steve did not find the episode funny at all.....he was upset and insisted that the nurse show him where I was.  He said I was relaxing with the nuclear camera/machine happily clicking away as it journeyed around my chest.  We laughed about the whole thing today, but last night as we settled into bed he said......I hope Keith and his wife are ok.  

FYI.....the nuclear camera/machine clicks 32 times in 16 minutes on its cardiac journey.  

5 comments:

Willym said...

So sorry that he had to go through that. And ain't that test the pip... it's when they bring the isotope out in the seal container and you start thinking Incredible Shrinking Man or Spider Man ..... hope all goes well...

Auld Hat said...

oh bless both of your fuzzy heads. I love you. I'm so sorry Steve had to experience that, however briefly. :( So, running away to the Mediterranean is out of the question next week? Well damn...

JACKIESUE said...

I would have punched that fecking nurse..see no humor in that at all...bless his little sweet heart..

rosemary said...

Willym....that is the scariest part, and they do it twice.

Auld Hat.....nope, no Mediterranean trip....but, I glow in the dark at night....that's fun, right?

JackieSue.....the receptionist was hysterical....thought it was beyond funny.....no one thought of all the HIPPA laws they broke not to mention Steve was scared to pieces.

booda baby said...

Really. I don't understand people who think the truly not funny is funny. I don't get people who laugh at horrific falls on ice. What the fuck? Have THEY never fallen? We have a friendly neighbor who does this - laughs at everyone else's dramas/misfortunes and worries and pains. NATURALLY, this tiniest disruption in HER life needs to be submitted to documentary filmmakers. Fuck.