There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.
William Shakespeare: Hamlet, Prince of Denmark



Friday, May 20, 2016

Snip a little here, snip a little there......

The neurosurgeon.  Emotionless. Dry. He is all business.  I don't want him to be my friend or even friendly.  I want him to be precise....all precision and exacting...and he is.   Rarely smiles....but I got not just one but two out of him yesterday.  

Steve and I had dual appointments.  Steve is doing really well.  He has lost quite a bit of weight, is slowly using the treadmill, few snacks and portion control, and starts PT next week.  YAY, Steve!

There was a long discussion about my neck and hands.  I have severe carpal tunnel in my right hand....not so bad in my left.  But, my neck is a mess and that mess is flattening my spinal cord, thus my balance issues and just possibly some of my hand problems.  The doctor wasn't surprised that I hadn't worn the collar, but he said he rarely has a patient admit it.  No reason to fib, the collar is a bigger hazard than help. 


So, smile one.  I'm going to have a 3 level laminectomy/discectomy with a plate and 3 screws. The doc described in detail what he will be doing to my spine.  Naturally I asked him if he could do a little "work" on my neck.  He smiled and said that he wasn't very good at plastic surgery.  Next he told me about the movement limits I'll have......not bad really.  I won't be able to touch my chin to my chest or turn around to look, for example, when I back up the truck.  I can live with that.  I forgot to ask if the plate will ever be removed or if I am permanently blinged. 

He told me the whole reason for that nasty collar was to keep my totally unstable neck from being injured and damaged even more than it is now.  I could be paralyzed.  From now on since I won't wear the collar I can't use a step stool, ladder, climb on the couch to dust window sills (thanks Steve for busting me on that one), and worst of all I can't ride my bike. I am to stay on flat ground. Smile two came when I asked how soon I could start vacuuming post surgery.  One week.  My limitations after surgery will be few.  Much different from Steve's last month on doing zero. Best of all...no collar needed. 

Surgery is "penciled" in for June 27th.  Perfect timing because Steve's daughter and grandson and my daughter are coming up for a surprise visit on Father's Day weekend.   I am actually eager to get this behind me.  My arms and legs are so badly bruised.......thank you Plavix.....that I look like  a battered woman.  I am constantly in motion, probably move too quickly and usually end up plowing into a wall or piece of furniture and my biggest nemesis is the strike plate on door frames.  

My right hand will have the ligament split six months after my neck is fixed.  It will take that long to see if fixing my neck will help my hands.  Total neck healing will take a year.

So.....today we priced a three wheeled bike and last night I ate two donuts.....a maple bar and an apple fritter...they were yummy and I didn't feel one bite of guilt.  

4 comments:

booda baby said...

This is GREAT! I mean, really, a person (me) can go down paragraph by paragraph and just say: wow. This is GREAT. I mean, it's NOT fun in any way that you have your various conditions, but ... please! Thrilled to see a healthy future!

rosemary said...

booda......it is good....I am hoping that feeling better physically will help me feel better mentally.

JACKIESUE said...

hot damn...now listen to your dr..my neighbor has a 3 wheel bike..think he got it at walmart and it was the cheapest..I want one but my granddaughters are afraid people will think I'm 'special'..I said well duh, of course I'm special.

rosemary said...

Damn straight we're special Jackiesue. We found a place to rent a 3 wheeler for a month so we might try that. I ride a beach cruiser and the one time I crashed was when I was riding my mountain bike because of a flat on the cruiser. So, I'm not sure how I will do with hand brakes...even with 3 wheels. I'm already sort of spastic walking because of all of this crap, so a 3 wheeler might make me really special.